Bravo Medical Magnet School students rallied outside LAUSD headquarters Tuesday. / Photo: Monica Smith

With only a few days before the holiday break, students from Bravo Medical Magnet High School in Boyle Heights staged demonstrations against proposed state cuts to public education, concerned they will be left with no school bus transportation next year.

About 200 students walked out of school Tuesday morning and marched to a Los Angeles Unified School District board meeting downtown, chanting “No ifs, no buts, no budget cuts” and “no bus, no future.” Student organizers also held an after school sit in outside the school’s cafeteria on Wednesday where students spoke out about the effects of budgets cuts to education.

Bravo senior Melissa Govea participated in this week’s demonstrations even after administrators threatened seniors they would lose the opportunity to participate in their graduation ceremony. “We had to stand up for what we think is best. It was a personal choice each student had to make,” said Govea.

Govea gets bused from South Gate and says losing the school bus would greatly affect her and many of her schoolmates. “We will have no way of getting to school which may leave us no option but to leave our magnet school and attend our home school that doesn’t meet the standards we have set up for ourselves.”

Gov. Jerry Brown announced new funding cuts Tuesday that will affect many programs including community colleges, public universities and L.A. Unified.

The district says the school bus program faces a shut down in the spring due to a $38-million mid-year cut by the state, leaving about 35,000 students, including 13,000 kids with special needs, without a ride to school, ABC7 reports.

However, LAUSD’s Superintendent John Deasy announced the district will sue the state because cutting buses would violate two of their requirements: providing transportation to students with disabilities and fulfilling an order to desegregate schools.

Bravo administrators say about 85 percent of students at the school are transported by school bus.

5 Responses

  1. Avatar
    Andrew Roman, Current Reporter

    It has been going on for quite sometime. I attended the UTLA Protest last year and apparently the state is in fact cutting education first. Its not fair to us students. I lost one of my favorite teachers to budget cuts. I hope that the things will get better.

    Reply
    • Avatar
      michael

      Mr. Roman ,

      My name is michael and im trying to get as much information on the LAUSD Bus cuts as I can. See I have two(2) kids that ride the bus from Langdon elementary school to Parthenis street Elementary school. If there is not going to be anymore buses then there is going to be a lot of students that will not be able to attend school. There is a lot of parents who either doesn’t have a car to take them(like me) or can not drive them to school. Do you know when the dead line for the bus cuts is/will betaking effect or could you help me get the correct information?
      Thank you

      Reply
      • Avatar
        Jessica Perez

        Michael, I just posted this on our Facebook page along with a link to an update from KPCC:
        It is still unknown if LAUSD students will have bus transportation come January. A ruling on LAUSD’s temporary restraining order against bus cuts is expected Thursday.
        I hope to get more updates.
        (JP-online editor)

  2. Avatar
    audree

    I am a senior and I get bused
    the district sent my mom a letter saying they were going to cut busing as of January 1st, 2012
    so it’s during the break

    Reply
    • Avatar
      Jessica Perez

      Audree, I just posted this on our Facebook page along with a link to an update from KPCC:
      It is still unknown if LAUSD students will have bus transportation come January. A ruling on LAUSD’s temporary restraining order against bus cuts is expected Thursday.
      I hope to get more updates.
      (JP-online editor)

      Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.