For many families, macaroni and cheese has become as American as apple pie, but for this 4th of July why not try something a little bit different?
Adding avocados to the classic fare may not suit the usual red, white, and blue theme of Independence Day, but it will add color as well as health benefits to the meal.
While avocadoes are high in fat, it is mostly the healthy monounsaturated variety that is good for you. Avocados also contain more than 25 essential nutrients, including vitamins A, B, C, E, and K. They are a good source of fiber, and potassium and a delicious addition to almost any meal.
Their green color adds an interesting mix to the traditional macaroni and cheese served at family gatherings. I can guarantee this is the perfect way to create a healthier version of the typically greasy macaroni and cheese we have grown to know and love.
This meal is quick and easy, making it an ideal treat for any time of the year.
You can find this recipe and many more at www.twopeasandtheirpod.com.
10 ounces of pasta (any of your choice is great)
2 avocados, ready to be processed in the blender
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tablespoons squeezed lemon (to prevent avocado from browning)
1/3 cup fresh chopped cilantro
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons of butter
2 tablespoons of any all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
2 cups of your favorite cheese shredded
1. Boil pasta as directed on packaging.
2. Drain and set aside pasta in a decent sized mixing bowl.
3. Save a cup of pasta water while preparing the avocado and cheese sauce.
4. Place avocadoes, garlic, cilantro and lime juice into a food processer or blender until creamy. If not smooth, add a few ounces of pasta water.
5. Make the cheese sauce by first melting butter in a
small pan to prevent cheese from burning. Mix in the cheese, and add
flour to give cheese sauce a thick texture. Stir until smooth.
6. Mix everything together for a delicious recipe. Feel free to add salt and pepper, and enjoy!
Note: A good addition to this meal would be cooked ground beef or turkey.
It is a way to sneak in some protein while enjoying a tasty meal.
Have a wonderful 4th of July!
Stay tuned for more simple summer recipes.
Did you try this recipe? Tell us how turned out for you in the comments section below.