The city has not yet set a date for the permanent closure of the Sixth Street Bridge, which is expected to be demolished this winter in preparation for the construction of a new span over the Los Angeles River.

The bridge had been scheduled to be closed to vehicular and pedestrian traffic on January 3 and demolition slated for Friday, January 8, but city officials are now saying that may be delayed one to two months.

A spokesperson from the City of Los Angeles Bureau of Engineering told Boyle Heights Beat that when a new date is set, there would be an official announcement with plenty of time for area residents who wish to cross the bridge –officially the Sixth Street Viaduct– one last time before demolition.

Last October, thousands of locals attended a farewell party for the bridge in anticipation of its closure. A new bridge, designed by architect Michael Maltzan, is scheduled to be completed by the end of 2018. The $420 million construction is said to be the largest bridge project in Los Angeles history.

Residents who wish to be updated on the bridge’s demolition and construction can sign up for email notifications at the Sixth Street Viaduct Replacement Project’s web page.

Boyle Heights Beat

Boyle Heights Beat is a bilingual community newspaper produced by its youth "por y para la comunidad". The newspaper and its sister website serve an immigrant neighborhood in East Los Angeles of just under...

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.